In line with KLC’s practical approach to design education, students undertake a total of two design projects and two research projects during the course. This enables them to complete their qualification with a diverse body of work which then forms the basis of their professional portfolio.
- Taking the brief, research and conceptual work
- Design analysis and development
- Design implementation and evaluation.
Colour, Texture and Styling
- Theory and psychology of colour
- Suitability, composition and application of textiles and trimmings, wall and floor coverings and materials and finishes
- Window treatments
- Accessories, art and antiques
Decorative Schemes and Sourcing
- Putting together a successful decorative scheme, incorporating patterned and plain fabrics, paint finishes and wallpaper
- Sourcing furniture and accessories for a given brief
- Sourcing from different trade suppliers
- Writing a professional design statement.
Introduction to Technical Understanding
- Introduction to the principles of design to include scale, proportion, ergonomics and space planning
- Introduction to lighting
- Introduction to building construction
- Introduction to kitchen and bathroom design.
- Drawing from survey notes
- Drawing plans, elevations, sections, furniture layouts and lighting plans
- Freehand sketching
- Introduction to EstiPC / EstiMac
- Visual presentation skills to include concept, presentation and sample boards
- Rendering techniques
Evolution of Style
- French and English interior styles from the 17th to early 21st Century
- Influential interior designers and decorators.
- Specifying, ordering, estimating and invoicing
- Record keeping and business administration
- Preparation of fee proposals
- Setting up trade accounts and the use of trade showrooms
- Time management and working to budget
- Planning permissions
- Contracts and insurance requirements
- Working in the industry and introduction to BIID
- Portfolio preparation
- Advice on finding work in the industry.
Projects and Assignments
Design Project 1 - Residential bedroom and bathroom
Design Project 2 - Residential kitchen, dining and living space
Research Project 1 - Evolution of Style project and test
Research Project 2 - Sourcing Assignments x4 (four).
Please note that students cover the same content and receive the same qualification whether they take the full time or part time study option.
"I never could imagine the amount I have learned in just eleven weeks. It was intense, hard work and amazing. I would recommend it to anyone looking to change career." - Hianta Chenai, Alumni