Interior Design Degree
Foundation (FdA) and BA (Hons) Top-up Degree
KLC’s Foundation degree in Interior Design is a vocational higher education qualification, which equates to the first two years of a Bachelor’s Degree. This course is a qualification in its own right and covers the levels of study known as level 4 (year one) and level 5 (year two).
Once you complete your Foundation Degree with us, you can choose to continue at KLC for a third year on the BA (Hons) Interior Design Top up to gain a full Bachelor’s award in Interior Design (known as level 6). Having a fully-accredited BA (Hons) degree will greatly assist students with their future career in Interior Design. They can start their own business or join a design or architectural practice as a qualified Interior Designer.
KLC successful Diploma students are offered a guaranteed route onto the BA (Hons) Top up. Direct entry onto this course from students who have studied elsewhere is also welcome. Please see entry requirements for this course.
Both the FdA and BA Hons are fully validated by the University of Brighton.
The KLC Interior Design degree is flexible in the way it is taught and you can study with KLC either on an online structured or full-time basis.
Foundation Degree Interior Design (Full Time)
The two-year Foundation Degree Interior Design course is appropriate for school leavers and anyone considering a career change who would like more time to absorb and develop core skills. The course will appeal to those who prefer a more 'hands on' practical experience with enhanced teacher support and who are mindful of future employability.
A lot of academic effort and industry expertise
At KLC we put a lot of effort and expertise into the content and mechanism of our courses to build a learning journey for you that is effective in making industry-ready interior designers.
Accelerate your learning – it’s all about good teaching..
Our teaching hours are way in excess of any other school or university Interior design course which is why our fees are higher than your average course but much better value for money.
KLC Foundation Degree
Typical University Degree
KLC students work closely with and learn from industry
At KLC our students work with companies like Andrew Martin, Brosely London, Nina Campbell, Holiday House, Crucial Trading and the Royal Hospital of Neuro-Disability on live projects as part of their course. This is incredibly exciting and grounds the course in the real world of the industry and gives students a fantastic context and experience to build their portfolios.
Meet the Course Leader, Rachael White, BA (Hons), KLC Dip
My creative career started in TV Production, being part of the original Big Brother team before retraining in Interior Design at KLC in 2004, successfully graduating winning the BIID Award for Creativity and Communication. After several years in high-end residential design studios and my own company, I returned to KLC in 2010 as a tutor. In 2016 I became Course Leader for the newly launched full time Foundation Degree in Interior Design and am currently studying for my PG Certificate.
I am incredibly passionate about creativity and love introducing students and staff to inspirational things through the history of design and style. I also present on many design subjects at industry events on behalf of KLC. KLC School of Design
5 reasons why you should apply to KLC
- No spending time nodding off in a large University lecture hall – informative seminars are given as homework to maximise your workshop time. This course requires a lot of attendance in our interior design studios and has been intentionally formulated to spark imagination, encourage debate and ignite curiosity, but is an easier way to learn and great fun too!
- Design theory and skills are imparted through active learning experiences, such as hands-on workshops, project work, inspirational visits, group discussions and crits.
- Continuing your studies into the third year and achieving the BA (Hons) qualification is a great way to expand your commercial career opportunities and critical thinking. Studying on this course offers a genuinely collaborative learning experience with practising members of the design industry, utilizing KLC’s invaluable industry links.
- KLC aims for all students to enter a practice and truly understand the working process. They won’t feel like there’s anything they’ve not tackled, even going to building sites and dealing with electricians and plumbers. You will be prepared both academically and practically to enter the work place as soon as you graduate.
- Our renowned careers and welfare teams are very hands-on and provide support during your studies and help gain you valuable summer work experience before you progress onto your third year BA Hons Top-up.
Please see the Level 6, BA (Hons) Interior Design Top up for details of the optional third year of study that will complete your Interior Design Degree.
How to Apply
This course has places available starting in September 2019.
You need to apply through UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service) by 15th January 2019, where you’ll need the following information:
University code: K95
Course code: 2W50
Campus code: C
Go to 'Apply' from the UCAS home page, where you will be able to register and create a password that gives you unique access as you complete your application form.
This course has places available starting September 2019.
International applicants may apply through either of the following routes:
Join us at FDA Degree specific open day and meet the course leader and recent alumni. Have all your questions answered and find out why the KLC FdA Foundation Degree may be the best choice for you to achieve your goal of becoming a professional Interior Designer.