Online Certificate Interior Design
The newly developed KLC Online Certificate Course is an excellent study option for aspiring career changers who have work or family commitments. The appeal of this course is its 'open learning' flexibility which enables you to gain a professional qualification, which is highly regarded within the Interior Design Industry, by studying at times and at a pace which suits you, wherever you are via your connected smart phone, tablet, laptop or desktop.
Students have 24/7 access to dynamic, interactive course materials tailored to develop all the necessary decorative and technical skills required to be an interior designer. The course materials have been specifically formulated for online learners and are designed to enhance your learning experience with captioned videos and presentations, plus self-marking quizzes to assess your progress along the way. All this, together with exciting residential projects that provide students with an opportunity to put all they have learnt into practice to build up an impressive portfolio of work which showcases their potential to prospective employers.
KLC has always been at the forefront of innovating digital and online teaching methods and has been providing online courses for over 15 years. Recently, KLC won two accolades at the 2017 Independent Higher Education Awards for ‘Innovation in Digital Teaching and Learning’ and ‘Breakthrough in Course Design and Delivery’.
This is a practical course and students are taught the same skills as students attending the onsite Certificate course, enabling them to complete their qualification with a diverse body of work which then forms the basis of their professional portfolio.
Certificate projects all have a residential focus, and increase in complexity as the course progresses - with students undertaking design briefs for bedroom, bathroom and kitchen/dining/living space projects, as well as research documents on ‘Evolution of Style’ and ‘Textiles Research & Application’.
New design theory and techniques are introduced at relevant points within the course, allowing students to develop skills including:
- Freehand sketching
- Perspective drawing
- Colour rendering and inking
- Technical drawing for plans, elevations and sections
- Colour, pattern & texture
- Accessories & styling
- Lighting design
- Spatial planning & ergonomics
- Materials & finishes
- Environment & sustainable design
- Professional Practice - including industry regulations & standards
- Business administration and project management for design are also integrated into the course syllabus; ensuring students receive comprehensive and practical training which will be relevant for their subsequent entry into the industry.
The Online Certificate offers complete flexibility around your existing work and family commitments, and can be studied at home or on the go, from anywhere in the world with a broadband internet connection!
The majority of project work is submitted by email for assessment. To develop their skills, students receive detailed, personalised feedback from our dedicated open learning tutors who are all experienced interior designers.
Support Throughout Your Studies
- Support for your studies is given by our dedicated Open Learning Support Team who are on hand via telephone and email to help you if you get stuck - this service is offered free of charge as part of your course fees. Or if you prefer, book one to one tutorials for tailored tuition from one of our tutors (at an additional cost).
- Attend our inspirational short courses located at our Chelsea Harbour studios to enhance your studies and meet other students - take advantage of a 20% discount as an online learning student.
- Be inspired by industry experts by attending Online Learning Networking Events – an opportunity to meet other online learning students and your tutors.
- Through our extensive industry links, Online Learning students can enter Interior Design Competitions providing real life experience of product development and interior design experience.
- Join a Student Study Group near you and benefit from interacting with your fellow students.
- Take advantage of our excellent careers service which utilises 35+ years of industry connections – we assist with CV and portfolio preparation, plus organise internships and job placements within a broad and prestigious range of design companies.
No previous experience in interior design is required for this course, all that is needed is a passion for interior design and a drive to learn more!
The course materials are held entirely online – no printed manuals will be sent to you; therefore applicants must be computer literate and able to confidently use their personal laptop, computer, tablet or smart phone to access the course.
International applicants looking to take this course are advised to have achieved a minimum IELTS test score of 6.5.
This course does not require an interview – enrol online or call our Admissions team for more details - +44(0)20 7376 3377.
Join us at our next open day and speak with course advisors, course leaders and alumni. Have all your questions answered and find out which course is best suited to you.
- The definitive online course for the residential interior design industry
- Follows curriculm of the KLC Certificate classroom-based course
- Career focussed training for the residential skills required to enter the industry
- Dedicated helpline and project feedback support by experienced interior design tutors
020 7376 3377