Online Certificate Interior Design
Your Flexible Pathway to a New Career
KLC’s Certificate Course has been running for over 30 years with an impressive track record of graduates going on to have exciting new careers in the interior design industry.
This online version of the course has just been completely revised and updated with new inspirational and interactive course materials bringing the subject alive. It is perfect for anybody who wants to gain a professional qualification and have the flexibility to fit their studies around work, family or other commitments. You can start at any time of the year, work at your own pace and study from anywhere in the world!
Award Winning Delivery
KLC has been pioneering digital and online teaching for over 15 years and at the 2017 Independent Higher Education Awards KLC won two accolades for “Innovation in Digital Teaching and Learning” and “Breakthrough in Course Design and Delivery”.
Through KLC’s bespoke virtual learning environment, students have constant access to dynamic course materials developed by industry experts. Broken down into four sections, the course layout is clear and easy to use with practical step by step instructions. Students have a wealth of resources including video demonstrations, narrated presentations with subtitles and self-assessed quizzes to check progress as they learn. For those who wish to develop CAD skills, VectorWorks videos are provided as part of the course, along with access to SketchUp and Lynda.com.
There is a thriving online community, where students share ideas, show examples of projects and discuss course work with one another – the perfect way to meet like-minded people and maintain motivation.
Current Student Quotes
‘Very effective, I am very impressed with the course materials so far. They are very well laid out and have relieved my anxiety about studying online.’ – JG, Devon, UK
‘I liked the combination of different media-tools like video, text and quiz and found all materials useful.’ – NR, Wiesbaden, Germany
‘The project briefs were very clear. It is neatly and cleverly laid out so it is obvious from the start what you need to do.’ – KP, Surrey, UK
‘The Vectorworks tutorial videos are absolutely fantastic. They could not be more helpful and are explained step-by-step – there is not one thing that wasn’t covered!’ – CC, Hertfordshire, UK
‘I am very impressed with the course materials, the tutorials are explained in a slow and easy way for us not to feel lost or confused in any moment. The project briefs are very clear, I think it’s great you put examples as that way we get an idea of what we are meant to be doing.’ – JH, Barcelona, Spain
Support Throughout Your Studies
The level of student support on offer at KLC is simply not available elsewhere. Our dedicated open learning tutors, all experienced interior designers, are on hand to provide friendly and professional help via telephone and email whenever you need support for your studies. Students receive detailed, personalised feedback from the tutors on all project work that is submitted for formal assessment.
You can also engage with the school, other students and the industry through:
- Workshops – you can choose to supplement your core studies by attending one of our inspirational short courses located at our Chelsea Harbour studios (and get a 20% discount as an online learning student!)
- Networking Events – be inspired by industry experts at these special events and meet other online learning students and your tutors
- Interior Design Competitions – through our extensive industry links, you can enter competitions providing real life project experience
- Student Study Groups – join one near you and benefit from interacting with your fellow students
- One to One Tutorials – for personal guidance on project work, you can opt for one or two hour sessions with one of our tutors (this carries an additional cost)
- Student of the Year – set yourself a challenge and aim for the top with our annual industry sponsored award
No other design school has the industry links or careers support that KLC provides. We assist with CV and portfolio preparation, plus organise internships and job placements within a broad and prestigious range of design companies.
Employers consistently return to KLC to recruit knowing that our graduates emerge with the relevant and practical skills for the workplace. As a result, students have gone to a broad range of exciting new careers.
Some join smaller design practices to work on residential interiors, whilst others have become home stylists or sourcing specialists. There are interesting opportunities in retail design, where graduates use creative visual communication in spatial environments to give flair to brands. Also popular are specialist areas such as interior trend forecasting, lighting design, renovation styling (where classic styles are reworked for contemporary interiors) and art direction for editorial, marketing and PR. The list is endless!
Immerse Yourself in Interiors
This course is all about developing an existing space. It is surface design. It is object curation. It is styling for the myriad of human senses both physical and emotional.
You will develop your creativity and learn drawing techniques to confidently communicate your ideas to clients. Business development, idea generation and sourcing skills are gained alongside an understanding of colour, lighting and textiles.
Exciting projects with a focus on residential interior design provide you with an opportunity to put all that you have learnt into practice to build up an impressive portfolio of work, which showcases your potential to prospective employers.
The inspirational syllabus includes:
- The process of design from taking the brief to developing creative ideas into bespoke, viable designs
- Spatial planning, ergonomics and design drawing (plans, elevations and sections)
- Understanding the basics of lighting design and developing lighting schemes
- Kitchen and bathroom design
- The development of successful schemes
- Creative use of colour, pattern and texture plus appropriate application of materials and finishes
- How to source materials, finishes, furniture and accessories
- Visual communication skills including sample boards, freehand sketching, perspective drawing and colour rendering
- How to style a space
- Project co-ordination, industry standards and regulations and managing the paperwork
- The basics of building construction
- Textiles research and application
- Evolution of style
The course is open to complete beginners – all that is needed is a passion for interior design and a drive to learn more!
As the course is delivered entirely online, applicants must be computer literate and able to confidently use their personal laptop, computer, tablet or smart phone to access the course and have access to a broadband connection.
International applicants looking to take this course are advised to have achieved a minimum IELTS test score of 6.5.
This course does not require an interview – enrol online or call our Admissions team for more details - +44 (0)20 7376 3377.
Watch our Online Certificate YouTube videos that will take you through all aspects of this newly developed course:
Join us at our next open day and speak with course advisors, course leaders and alumni. Have all your questions answered and find out which course is best suited to you.