Introduction to Interior Design - Saturdays
Whether you’re working on a home design project, are taking your first step towards an interior design career, or are looking to enjoy a fun and informative course packed with design tips, this option offers you a practical and inspiring first step into the world of interior design.
The KLC Introduction to Interior Design course is ideal for anyone with little or no knowledge of interior design, who wants to learn more! With no need to commit to more than one day a week for ten weeks, the course fits easily around work or family commitments.
The course programme is delivered through inspirational lectures, hands on workshops, showroom visits and specialist talks. All tutors are working professional interior designers or industry specialists.
Each week a new interior design topic is introduced; including colour, lighting, using fabrics and trimmings, sourcing furniture and materials, window treatments, space planning to scale, kitchen and bathroom design and working with contractors on site. The course culminates in the student’s creation of a professional quality concept board and sample board.
- Inspirational interiors, design trends, and the design process (where to begin, taking the brief)
- All about colour – understanding the Colour Wheel and colour harmonies, how to use colour creatively in interiors
- Creating a concept for a room (where to find inspiration, how to release creativity)
- Sourcing furniture and materials like a professional including a showroom visit; how to use fabrics, trimmings and patterns in interiors
- Window treatments (inspirational ideas and working with a curtain-maker); developing an aesthetically pleasing and cohesive design scheme); visual presentation skills (techniques for creating professional concept and sample boards)
- Planning room layouts (how to measure a room, working with scale, introduction to ergonomics)
- Lighting (understanding how to light a room, creating lighting moods, how to create a simple lighting plan)
- Kitchen design (inspirational kitchen ideas and trends, planning options, showroom visit)
- Bathroom design (inspirational bathroom ideas and trends, bathroom planning)
- Managing a residential project (scheduling work, pitfalls to avoid, communicating with contractors); presentation of concept and sample boards
Tutors take students through the design process, from taking a brief, measuring a space, creating a room concept, through to assembling a professional-looking design scheme for a room in their own home or from a selection of fantasy clients. Students will learn to develop their creativity through lectures, workshops and voluntary assignments. By the end of the course, students should have the confidence to plan simple room layouts to scale, create a cohesive room scheme, and communicate their design ideas in a creative and design-led way.
No previous art or design experience is required to undertake this course. All you need is enthusiasm and a passion for interior design.
Please note it will not be possible for you to swap between the Friday and Saturday course.