Power of Colour
A practical workshop designed to build your colour knowledge and confidence
Colour theory has its foundation in the human experience of colour, and helps us to classify harmonious colour associations and hierarchies. With a good understanding of colour theory, artists and designers are able to employ colour strategies – to use colour intentionally – and to enjoy a confident and playful relationship with hues, tints and shades.
Initially the workshop references colour theory and then quickly breaks out to practise colour palette creation from different starting points, and using group and individual approaches.
Come ready to roll your sleeves up – it will be a busy day!
The syllabus includes:
- The basics of colour theory and why this is closely aligned with how we see colour
- Complements and harmonies
- The differing impact of hues, tints and shades
- How to manipulate saturation to create nuance
- Accent colour and its role within a scheme
- Finding inspiration and translating this into a workable palette
- Using colour to create a desired ‘mood’
This is an ideal follow-on workshop for those who took KLC's “The Power of Colour” online course with FutureLearn, however there will be a quick refresher on colour theory in the morning before practical work begins.
The course cost includes a colour wheel and coloured pencils which will be yours to take away, as well as refreshments and a delicious light lunch.
Colour theory can be applied across many professions and disciplines and the knowledge gained from this workshop is transferrable, although the examples used in this workshop will relate to interior application.