Our Mission Statement
KLC aims to provide inspirational, career-focused education in interior and garden design in the context of a new and broader way of thinking about the real value of design. We advocate the potential of a 'design can do anything' approach, where design skills can be applied to larger issues and social problems to change lives and help companies to innovate and out-perform competitors.
We encourage collaboration, enterprise and an entrepreneurial approach, and an understanding of human responses. With a view to future proofing career opportunities for our graduates, students are motivated to embrace complexity and ambiguity and challenge assumptions, to see not just what is but what might be.
Opportunities for students to work closely with the wider community and contributions on closely related topics such as art, architecture, psychology and philosophy are included in our programmes wherever possible. We make every effort to provide a highly supportive environment for students and staff. We put our students at the heart of everything we do, providing equal opportunities for all to develop their individual potential and make the successful transition from course to workplace. Courage, integrity and accountability are the keystones of the culture of the school.
The School is committed to delivering socially purposeful higher education that serves and strengthens society and underpins the economy, contributes to the public good, enriches those who participate and equips graduates to contribute effectively to the interior or garden design profession and communities locally, nationally and internationally.
- Over the last 5 years, KLC has made considerable investment into external oversight, new course development and innovative technology for course delivery. The overall strategic aim is to consolidate by ensuring student recruitment targets are achieved on all courses, costs are controlled and that course delivery remains inspirational and engaging for all students.
Short Term Aims
- To ensure that the investments made in course development, additional staff and the new teaching and learning IT platform succeed at every level and provide an improved student learning experience with the introduction of more exciting and innovative teaching and learning techniques both in new and existing courses.
- To ensure that the business model is sustainably profitable while maintaining quality of provision and support services and providing genuine value for money in relation to the course fees.
- To ensure that course programme content and outcomes are in keeping with current practice and research new areas for development.
- To place particular focus on course outcomes and employability and to build up the KLC provision of careers support internationally.
- To take forward the planned refurbishment project to provide solutions to issues of space and to improve the quality of surroundings for students and staff.
- To make support and development opportunities for existing staff a priority and to continue to recruit, train and develop staff in order to satisfactorily fulfil their roles and responsibilities and meet the expectations of our students and validating bodies.
- To continue to look for ways to improve communication with staff and students and to facilitate the sharing of ideas and techniques between courses.
Long Term Aims
- To increase the number of international students studying at the School and support the Home Office policy of attracting and welcoming the brightest and the best international students to come and study in the UK.
- To develop an international market for KLC’s online course programmes.
- To continue to develop course programmes to facilitate progression.
- To work towards the majority of student work being submitted digitally by 2020.
- To capitalise on strategic partnerships and forge stronger links within the industry and amongst the higher education sector.
At All Times
- To monitor the quality of the student experience, teaching and learning and resources and continue to look for ways that these can be enhanced.
- To ensure that the School maximises and continues to capitalise on the added value offered as distinct from other independent and university courses: location, industry contacts, careers service, quality of teaching and exceptionally high levels of student support and materiality.
- To promote the highest standards of professional integrity and give due consideration to the ethical, social and environmental issues arising from its activities, including relationships with students, employees, stakeholders and the wider community.
- We are committed to operating with integrity and accountability
- We are creative, innovative and open minded
- We place our students at the heart of everything we do
- We recognise our staff are our greatest asset and are committed to building a positive team and a supportive environment
- We believe in equal opportunities for all
- We are fully committed to working with the wider community
- We promote the responsibilities that designers carry for the environment
- We are passionate about what we do and strive for excellence at all times.