Learn all the fundamentals of residential interior design, styling and sourcing in just 11 weeks on this industry-respected course
The Full Time Certificate Course provides the perfect opportunity to dive headfirst into the world of residential interior design. You don't need any art and design experience, just a passion and desire to work in the residential interior design industry. This tried and tested vocational course is taught by a team of professionally trained interior designers with extensive industry experience between them and all of whom studied at KLC in the past. So, they know where you are at now, where you need to get to and how to get you there.
Great reasons to apply
- This accessible and enjoyable vocational course offers you a fast track route to employment in the residential interior design industry and entrepreneurial opportunities.
- The curriculum is enhanced with regular inspirational talks from leading designers and industry experts as well as showroom visits and design trips.
- Offers the opportunity to progress into the full time or part time Diploma HE Level 5 Qualification part way through that course.
- High levels of tutor support by a team of professionally trained practicing interior designers with added careers support
Join us at our next 'all courses' KLC Open Day and Exhibition. See current students work from first to final projects and speak with course advisors, course leaders, careers team and alumni.
"It was great being in a learning environment with people of mixed ages and from many different cultures - I found that very inspiring. The full-time course is very demanding and quick-paced, this is great preparation for the industry which is built not only on creative but organisational skills." Kate Aslangul
This tried and tested vocational course is taught by a team of professionally trained interior designers with extensive industry experience between them and many of whom studied at KLC in the past so, they understand where you are at now, where you need to get to and how to get you there.
KLC has always been at the forefront of innovating teaching methods and using the latest technologies to improve the student learning experience. In December 2017, this strategy was recognised officially when KLC won two accolades at the inaugural 2017 Independent Higher Education Awards for ‘Breakthrough in Course Design and Delivery’ and 'Innovation in Digital Teaching and Learning’.
Tailored to help students develop their creativity and encourage them to start thinking like an interior designer, this five day a week course is an excellent option for those looking to fast track their route to employment. Alongside engaging and carefully formulated lectures and workshops, the course is enhanced with regular inspirational talks from leading designers and industry experts as well as showroom visits and trips to the V&A.
In between easy-to-follow inspirational lessons and fundamental skills workshops, students undertake several learning research projects and sourcing assignments in the first half of the course. This gives them a good foundation of knowledge as they work towards commencing their first concept design project where they have an opportunity to put skills learned into practice. The course then culminates in an exciting final live project where students are able to work with an actual client, pitching their design exactly as they would in a real-life job.
Students will leave the course ready to work in the residential interior design industry with all the key decorative and technical skills to design, style and source for kitchens, bathrooms living and sleeping areas of the home. Others may wish to combine previous knowledge and workplace experience with their new skills to open up exciting entrepreneurial opportunities.
(three entry points)
13 January 2020 to 27 March 2020
14 April 2020 to 02 July 2020
21 September 2020 to 4 December 2020
11 Weeks (continuous - no half-term break)
KLC Diploma HE Interior Design (Level 5) (Only need to complete last 2/3 of course to gain Dip HE Qualification. Fees pro-rata)
Monday – Friday, 10.00–16.00
A minimum of 9 hours of self-directed study per week is required to complete the course.
Projects and Assignments
Design Project 1 - Residential bedroom and bathroom
Design Project 2 - Residential kitchen, dining and living space
Research Project 1 - Evolution of Style project and test
Research Project 2 - Sourcing Assignments x3 (three).
- Taking the brief, research and conceptual work
- Design analysis and development
- Design implementation and evaluation
- Writing a professional design statement.
Colour, Texture and Styling
- Theory and psychology of colour
- Suitability, composition and application of textiles and trimmings, wall and floor coverings and materials and finishes
- Window treatments
- Accessories, art and antiques
Decorative Schemes and Sourcing
- Putting together a successful decorative scheme, incorporating patterned and plain fabrics, paint finishes and wallpaper
- Sourcing furniture and accessories for a given brief
- Sourcing from different trade suppliers
- Writing a professional design statement.
Introduction to Technical Understanding
- Introduction to the principles of design to include scale, proportion, ergonomics and space planning
- Introduction to lighting
- Introduction to building construction
- Introduction to kitchen and bathroom design.
- Drawing from survey notes
- Drawing plans, elevations, sections, furniture layouts and lighting plans
- Freehand sketching
- Introduction to EstiPC / EstiMac
- Visual presentation skills to include concept, presentation and sample boards
- Rendering techniques
Evolution of Style
- French and English interior styles from the 17th to early 21st Century
- Influential interior designers and decorators.
- Specifying, ordering, estimating and invoicing
- Record keeping and business administration
- Preparation of fee proposals
- Setting up trade accounts and the use of trade showrooms
- Time management and working to budget
- Planning permissions
- Contracts and insurance requirements
- Working in the industry and introduction to BIID
- Portfolio preparation
- Advice on finding work in the industry.
Please note that students cover the same content and receive the same qualification whether they take the full time or part time study option.
"Since studying at KLC I have been lucky to work for successful design practices in London, New York, Vancouver and Toronto and have worked on a variety of amazing homes including Manor houses in the country and a penthouse over looking Central Park." Bhavin Taylor
How to apply
Entry onto the course is by interview only, so please complete the Request an Interview or call our Admissions team to book your appointment.
To prepare for your interview, you will be asked to complete the following:
- Interview forms, including education and career history
Computer-aided design is a key part of this course; therefore applicants must be computer literate and able to confidently use their personal laptop.
Please contact our Admissions Team on 020 7376 3377 or email@example.com if you need any further information or advice about the Entry Requirements for this course.
The standard entry requirements for this course are as follows:
- No previous art and design experience is required.
- Applicants must be 18 or over
English Language Requirements
IELTS score of 6.5 (www.ielts.org)
Fees and Funding
(Equivalent to £9,945 per term)
Schedule of Fee Payments
Initial enrolment fee: £1,800 inc VAT non-refundable but deductible from the overall fees.
Followed by 1 payments of: £8,145 inc VAT
|8 weeks before course start date||£8,145 inc VAT|
VAT will be charged at the rate in force at the date payments are made which may increase the total fees quoted if the VAT rate changes.
Please make a careful note of our refund policies, so that you are clear about what you might expect in the event of cancellation.
There are a number of funding options available for our different courses and it can be complicated establishing the most appropriate route for you, so if you would like any advice then please do not hesitate to contact our Registrars by telephone (020 7376 3377) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Personal Education Loan
There are many different companies offering personal loans, including some that specialise in private education loans which have a reduced repayment through the duration of your course.
Please note that we are unable to accept the 24+ Advanced Learner Loan for our courses.
Alumni and careers
Certificate Interior Design students leave KLC with a broad and industry-ready knowledge of residential interior design.
During the course, KLC's dedicated Careers service ensures Certificate students are educated on CV preparation and portfolio presentation. Students will also benefit from a very useful 1-to-1 careers session helping to facilitate career entry.
On graduation, students will get access to the KLC Online Jobs Board to assist with their self-directed job searches with Alumni support provided on an ongoing basis.
Out of the Certificate students who used the Careers Service in 2017, 93% are now working in the industry.