EXTENDED SUPER SAVER - £545 DISCOUNT OFF of the £1795 course fee - Pay £1250. Offer ends 17 December 2021.
Industry-recognised flexible self-study course with cutting-edge online learning materials, CAD Software and dedicated tutor support
KLC’s Certificate Course has been running for over 37 years with an impressive track record of graduates going on to have exciting new careers in the interior design industry.
This online self-directed version of the course was recently completely revised and updated with new inspirational and interactive course materials, bringing the subject alive.
It is perfect for anybody who wants to gain a professional qualification and have the flexibility to fit their studies around work, family or other commitments. You can start at any time of the year, work at your own pace and study from anywhere in the world!
Great reasons to apply
- Award-winning online delivery with easy to follow sub-titled videos, infographics and fun quizzes to help you easily gain the skills needed and accelerate your learning to complete the various inspirational course design projects
- Easy to follow video tutorials to help you learn key industry-required CAD software packages of AutoCAD® and SketchUp® which you can pause and play when you undertake your first interior design projects
- Exceptional level of student support available via email and telephone from our dedicated team of professional and experienced Open Learning interior design tutors
- Connect with your peers, through the included online forum that all students use to communicate with each other and share tips and experiences
- Receive detailed, constructive feedback on your submitted projects by our Open Learning tutor team
- Achieve the highly respected KLC Certificate that has been running for the past 33 years
- Gain FREE membership of the British Institute of Interior Design (BIID) for the duration of your course plus 1 year after
KLC has been pioneering digital and online teaching for over 15 years and at the 2017 Independent Higher Education Awards KLC won two accolades for “Innovation in Digital Teaching and Learning” and “Breakthrough in Course Design and Delivery”.
The Online Certificate Interior Design course is accessible by all your devices 24/7 via KLC's bespoke virtual learning environment (VLE). Through this online web portal, students have constant access to dynamic course materials developed by industry experts. Broken down into four sections, the course layout is clear and easy to use with practical step by step instructions.
Students have a wealth of resources including video demonstrations, narrated presentations with subtitles and self-assessed quizzes to check progress as they learn.
Essential Industry CAD software training
For those who wish to develop CAD (Computer Aided Design) skills, AutoCAD® and SketchUp® software videos are provided as part of the course. You can use AutoCAD® software for your technical drawing and then use SketchUp® software later on in the course for 3D visuals which can be used in conjunction with AutoCAD® software.
Students on this course can gain access to the FREE educational version of AutoCAD to undertake their course work projects and SketchUp Pro® is available at a substantial student discount.
Join KLC's online study community
There is a thriving online community, where students share ideas, show examples of projects and discuss coursework with one another – the perfect way to meet like-minded people and maintain motivation.
Support Throughout Your Studies
The level of student support on offer at KLC is simply not available elsewhere. Our dedicated open learning tutors, all experienced interior designers, are on hand to provide friendly and professional help via telephone and email whenever you need support for your studies. Students receive detailed, personalised feedback from the tutors on all project work that is submitted for formal assessment.
Engage with the school, other students and the industry through:
- Workshops – you can choose to supplement your core studies by attending one of our inspirational short courses located at our Chelsea Harbour studios (and get a 20% discount as an online learning student!)
- Networking Events – be inspired by industry experts at these special events and meet other online learning students and your tutors
- Interior Design Competitions – through our extensive industry links, you can enter competitions providing real-life project experience
- Student Study Groups – join one near you and benefit from interacting with your fellow students
- One to One Tutorials – for personal guidance on project work, you can opt for one or two hour sessions with one of our tutors (this carries an additional cost).
- Online Student of the Year – set yourself a challenge and aim for the top with our annual industry-sponsored award which last year was sponsored by B&Q.
If you can't find the information you are looking for or to ask a question, please call our course enquiry team - 020 7376 3377
Can enrol at any time.
Students are given a generous 3 years (36 months) to complete the course
To fit in with your commitments - e.g. 10 hours study per week to complete the course in 15 months
An Instalment Plan is available for this course
"‘I am very impressed with the course materials, the tutorials are explained in a slow and easy way for us not to feel lost or confused in any moment. The project briefs are very clear, I think it’s great you put examples as that way we get an idea of what we are meant to be doing.’" JH, Barcelona, Spain
This course is all about developing an existing space. It is surface design. It is object curation. It is styling for the myriad of human senses both physical and emotional.
You will develop your creativity and learn drawing techniques to confidently communicate your ideas to clients. Business development, idea generation and sourcing skills are gained alongside an understanding of colour, lighting and textiles.
Exciting projects with a focus on residential interior design provide you with an opportunity to put all that you have learnt into practice to build up an impressive portfolio of work, which showcases your potential to prospective employers.
The inspirational syllabus includes:
- The process of design from taking the brief to developing creative ideas into bespoke, viable designs
- Spatial planning, ergonomics and design drawing (plans, elevations and sections)
- CAD software - AutoCAD and SketchUp
- Understanding the basics of lighting design and developing lighting schemes
- Kitchen and bathroom design
- The development of successful schemes
- Creative use of colour, pattern and texture plus the appropriate application of materials and finishes
- How to source materials, finishes, furniture and accessories
- Visual communication skills including sample boards, freehand sketching, perspective drawing and colour rendering
- How to style a space
- Project co-ordination, industry standards and regulations and managing the paperwork
- The basics of building construction
- Textiles research and application
- Evolution of style.
How to apply
Entry onto the course is via online booking using shopping basket button below or over the phone by calling 020 7376 3377.
You can enter any promo code you have just before completing the checkout process. If you opt to pay by KLC Instalment Plan, you must have a UK bank account.
Please contact our Admissions Team on 020 7376 3377 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you need any further information or advice about the Entry Requirements for this course.
No previous experience in interior design is required for this course; we simply ask that you have a passion for the subject and a drive to learn!
Applicants should have basic computer skills (Word processing, Spreadsheets, Internet and Email use) and able to confidently use their laptop computer. These skills can be built on using the online learning resources during the course to gain the computer-aided design (CAD) software skills needed to complete the course from an absolute beginner level to confident usage.
PCs and Mac - We do recommend that students use PC computers for the Online Certificate course for learning industry CAD software. This is because Mac users can experience a number of issues and drawbacks using Mac versions of CAD which can be time consuming and frustrating when learning a new skill. You can opt to use PC emulator software such as Bootcamp or Parallels with Windows 10 and use the PC versions. While these do make things easier, you should be aware that they do not necessarily remove all the problems. Many KLC students use a PC for CAD and their Mac throughout their course for course admin, email, VLE access, research, written documents and project presentations.
English Language Recommendation
IELTS score of 5.5 (www.ielts.org) is advised as a guide
Fees and Funding
Below is a table showing the breakdown of course fees according to our monthly payment plan option based on the course fee of £1,795. Please note that this payment facility is only available to students with a UK bank account (inc. Northern Ireland).
|1st payment due now||Further monthly payments||Total|
*The total course fee includes a small additional charge of £84 (just over £4.66 per month) to cover administration costs for using this facility.
The course fee for the online Certificate course includes all the study materials, project and assignment work, and all distance learning tuition, including the telephone helpline, email advice and assessment of coursework and student membership of the BIID.
However, students should make an allowance for the following:-
- Equipment and drawing materials
- Books for further reading
- Magazine subscriptions
- Visits to exhibitions, museums, trade shows, historic houses and gardens
- KLC Workshops (optional)
- KLC One to One Tutorials (optional).
There are a number of funding options available for our different courses and it can be complicated establishing the most appropriate route for you, so if you would like any advice then please do not hesitate to contact our Registrars by telephone (020 7376 3377) or email (email@example.com)
Personal Education Loan
There are many different companies offering personal loans, including some that specialise in private education loans which have a reduced repayment through the duration of your course.
Please note that we are unable to accept the 24+ Advanced Learner Loan for our courses.
Alumni and careers
Certificate Interior Design students leave KLC with a broad and industry-ready knowledge of residential interior design.
The online certificate course is exactly the same curriculum with the same learning outcomes as our onsite Part Time and Full Time Certificate courses. You can see the employability for these graduates at the bottom of those respective course pages.
No other design school has the industry links or careers support that KLC provides. We give guidance on CVs and portfolio preparation via email. On completion of the course, graduates will have access to the Online KLC Jobs Board to help support their own self-directed job searches based on their geographical area. If needed Online Certificate student can book 1-to-1 session with a member of the careers service.
Employers consistently return to KLC to recruit knowing that our graduates emerge with the relevant and practical skills for the workplace. As a result, students have gone to a broad range of exciting new careers.
Some join smaller design practices to work on residential interiors, whilst others have become home stylists or sourcing specialists. There are interesting opportunities in retail design, where graduates use creative visual communication in spatial environments to give flair to brands. Also popular are specialist areas such as interior trend forecasting, lighting design, renovation styling (where classic styles are reworked for contemporary interiors) and art direction for editorial, marketing and PR. The list is endless!