Industry-recognised flexible learning course with cutting-edge online learning materials and dedicated tutor support
KLC’s Certificate Course has been running for over 30 years with an impressive track record of graduates going on to have exciting new careers in the interior design industry.
This online version of the course has just been completely revised and updated with new inspirational and interactive course materials bringing the subject alive. It is perfect for anybody who wants to gain a professional qualification and have the flexibility to fit their studies around work, family or other commitments. You can start at any time of the year, work at your own pace and study from anywhere in the world!
Great reasons to apply
- Award-winning online delivery with easy to follow sub-titled videos, infographics and fun quizzes to help you easily gain the skills needed and accelerate your learning to complete the various inspirational course design projects
- Easy to follow video tutorials to help you learn two key CAD software packages of SketchUp and Vectorworks, and which you can pause and play when you undertake your first interior design projects
- Exceptional level of student support available with email and telephone support from our dedicated team of professional and experienced Open Learning interior design tutors
- Receive detailed, constructive feedback on your submitted projects by our Open Learning tutor team
- Achieve the highly respected KLC Certificate that has been running for the past 30 years.
Join us at our next open day and speak with course advisors, course leaders and alumni. See current students work and have all your questions answered to find out which course and study mode is best suited to you.
KLC has been pioneering digital and online teaching for over 15 years and at the 2017 Independent Higher Education Awards KLC won two accolades for “Innovation in Digital Teaching and Learning” and “Breakthrough in Course Design and Delivery”.
The Online Certificate Interior Design course is accessible by all your devices 24/7 via KLC's bespoke virtual learning environment (VLE). Through this online web portal, students have constant access to dynamic course materials developed by industry experts. Broken down into four sections, the course layout is clear and easy to use with practical step by step instructions.
Students have a wealth of resources including video demonstrations, narrated presentations with subtitles and self-assessed quizzes to check progress as they learn. For those who wish to develop CAD skills, VectorWorks videos are provided as part of the course, along with access to SketchUp and Lynda.com.
There is a thriving online community, where students share ideas, show examples of projects and discuss coursework with one another – the perfect way to meet like-minded people and maintain motivation.
Support Throughout Your Studies
The level of student support on offer at KLC is simply not available elsewhere. Our dedicated open learning tutors, all experienced interior designers, are on hand to provide friendly and professional help via telephone and email whenever you need support for your studies. Students receive detailed, personalised feedback from the tutors on all project work that is submitted for formal assessment.
You can also engage with the school, other students and the industry through:
- Workshops – you can choose to supplement your core studies by attending one of our inspirational short courses located at our Chelsea Harbour studios (and get a 20% discount as an online learning student!)
- Networking Events – be inspired by industry experts at these special events and meet other online learning students and your tutors
- Interior Design Competitions – through our extensive industry links, you can enter competitions providing real-life project experience
- Student Study Groups – join one near you and benefit from interacting with your fellow students
- One to One Tutorials – for personal guidance on project work, you can opt for one or two hour sessions with one of our tutors (this carries an additional cost)
- Student of the Year – set yourself a challenge and aim for the top with our annual industry-sponsored award.
If you can't find the information you are looking for or to ask a question, please call our course enquiry team - 020 7376 3377
Can enrol at any time.
Students are given a generous 3 years (36 months) to complete the course
To fit in with your commitments - e.g. 10 hours study per week to complete the course in 15 months
An Instalment Plan is available for this course
"‘I am very impressed with the course materials, the tutorials are explained in a slow and easy way for us not to feel lost or confused in any moment. The project briefs are very clear, I think it’s great you put examples as that way we get an idea of what we are meant to be doing.’" JH, Barcelona, Spain
This course is all about developing an existing space. It is surface design. It is object curation. It is styling for the myriad of human senses both physical and emotional.
You will develop your creativity and learn drawing techniques to confidently communicate your ideas to clients. Business development, idea generation and sourcing skills are gained alongside an understanding of colour, lighting and textiles.
Exciting projects with a focus on residential interior design provide you with an opportunity to put all that you have learnt into practice to build up an impressive portfolio of work, which showcases your potential to prospective employers.
The inspirational syllabus includes:
- The process of design from taking the brief to developing creative ideas into bespoke, viable designs
- Spatial planning, ergonomics and design drawing (plans, elevations and sections)
- Understanding the basics of lighting design and developing lighting schemes
- Kitchen and bathroom design
- The development of successful schemes
- Creative use of colour, pattern and texture plus appropriate application of materials and finishes
- How to source materials, finishes, furniture and accessories
- Visual communication skills including sample boards, freehand sketching, perspective drawing and colour rendering
- How to style a space
- Project co-ordination, industry standards and regulations and managing the paperwork
- The basics of building construction
- Textiles research and application
- Evolution of style
"The Vectorworks tutorial videos are absolutely fantastic. They could not be more helpful and are explained step-by-step – there is not one thing that wasn’t covered!" CC, Hertfordshire, UK
How to apply
Entry onto the course is via online booking using shopping basket button below or over the phone by calling 020 7376 3377.
You can enter any promo code you have just before completing the checkout process. If you opt to pay by KLC Instalment Plan, you must have a UK bank account.
Please contact our Admissions Team on 020 7376 3377 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you need any further information or advice about the Entry Requirements for this course.
No previous experience in interior design is required for this course; we simply ask that you have a passion for the subject and a drive to learn!
Applicants should have basic computer skills (Word processing, Spreadsheets, Internet and Email use) and able to confidently use their laptop computer. These skills can be built on using the online learning resources during the course to gain the computer-aided design (CAD) software skills needed to complete the course from an absolute beginner level to confident usage.
English Language Recommendation
IELTS score of 5.5 (www.ielts.org) is advised as a guide
Fees and Funding
A monthly Instalment Plan is available for this course
- A monthly payment plan for online Certificate course can be seen at the bottom of the page
- Please note that VAT will be charged at the rate in force at the date payments are made which may increase the total fees quoted if the VAT rate changes
All prices include VAT.
The course fee for the online Certificate course includes all the study materials, project and assignment work, VAT and all distance learning tuition, including the telephone helpline, email advice and assessment of coursework.
However, students should make an allowance for the following:-
- Equipment and drawing materials
- Books for further reading
- Magazine subscriptions
- Postage costs for both sending work into the college and receiving the work back again (for Diploma courses only)
- Membership to various affiliations (eg BIID, RHS etc)
- Visits to exhibitions, museums, trade shows, historic houses and gardens
- KLC Workshops (optional)
- KLC One to One Tutorials (optional).
Monthly Payment Plan Option
Below is a table showing the breakdown of course fees according to our monthly payment plan option. Please note that this payment facility is only available to students with a UK bank account (inc. Northern Ireland).
|1st payment due now||Further monthly payments||Total|
The total course fee includes a small additional charge to cover administration costs for using this facility.
There are a number of funding options available for our different courses and it can be complicated establishing the most appropriate route for you, so if you would like any advice then please do not hesitate to contact our Registrars by telephone (020 7376 3377) or email (email@example.com)
Personal Education Loan
There are many different companies offering personal loans, including some that specialise in private education loans which have a reduced repayment through the duration of your course.
Please note that we are unable to accept the 24+ Advanced Learner Loan for our courses.
Alumni and careers
Certificate Interior Design students leave KLC with a broad and industry-ready knowledge of residential interior design.
We are only 11 months into the new Online certificate course, so have not had anyone complete the course yet. However, the online certificate course is exactly the same curriculum with the same learning outcomes as our onsite Part Time and Ful Time Certificate courses. You can see the employability for these graduates at the bottom of those respective course pages.
No other design school has the industry links or careers support that KLC provides. We give guidance on CVs and portfolio preparation via email. On completion of the course, graduates will have access to the Online KLC Jobs Board to help support their own self-directed job searches based on their geographical area. If needed Online Certificate student can book 1-to-1 session with a member of the careers service.
Employers consistently return to KLC to recruit knowing that our graduates emerge with the relevant and practical skills for the workplace. As a result, students have gone to a broad range of exciting new careers.
Some join smaller design practices to work on residential interiors, whilst others have become home stylists or sourcing specialists. There are interesting opportunities in retail design, where graduates use creative visual communication in spatial environments to give flair to brands. Also popular are specialist areas such as interior trend forecasting, lighting design, renovation styling (where classic styles are reworked for contemporary interiors) and art direction for editorial, marketing and PR. The list is endless!