This enjoyable master class in drawing for design introduces creative skills of varying technicality from free sketching to the principles of sketch perspective drawing, and includes strategies for introducing colour and material references to design presentations.
The emphasis of this course is artistic and supportive and no prior knowledge is needed; anyone with an interest in hand-drawing and rendering is welcome. While the principles studied have relevance for professional practice across all design disciplines, examples and course materials will refer largely to interior and to garden design.
All exercises will be completed by hand - there is no digital element to this course.
- Freehand sketching and drawing
- 1- and 2-point perspective sketching
- Mixed-media collage
- Materials, media and associated techniques
- Gain confidence in freehand drawing and sketching
- Learn about proportion and perspective - how to indicate relative scale and location within a drawn space
- Understand the properties of different artistic media and learn strategies for their use
- Discover how to set up both 1-point and 2-point sketch perspective views of objects and locations
- Demystify methods of applying colour to drawings in order to represent surfaces and visual impact
- Enjoy a week immersed in artistic creativity and expression
This course is suited to students and designers from different design disciplines seeking to develop professional skill, or to brush up on rusty talent, and equally could be studied 'just for fun'! It has general appeal as a creative immersion touching on many different approaches to drawing and visualisation.