Curtains, blinds, soft furnishings like cushions and throws and creative upholstery are some of the most effective ways to create tactile and evocative interior schemes. But what are the best designs for awkward windows? What effects to different curtain headings have on the finished look? What trimmings add the finishing touch? What are the best fabrics to use to help you create the look you want? What are interlinings and linings for? How do you choose the right fabrics for upholstery?
In this one-day course, we will address these issues and much more through informative presentations, group and individual workshops to explore the compositions of and applications of textiles in interiors and a visit to a local fabric showroom. The day culminates in a practical workshop where you will create an A3 window treatment design board.
- How to identify the fibre composition of fabrics
- How to combine patterned and solid fabrics in a scheme
- The “rub” requirements for residential upholstery
- The FR requirements for UK upholstery
- Creative upholstery ideas
- Different curtain headings
- Window treatment options for awkward windows
- How to use trimmings effectively on upholstery and soft furnishings
- How to add decorative accent with cushions and throws
- How to source fabric from a fabric showroom
- How to create a window treatment design scheme.
- Understanding the construction of curtains including headings and interlinings
- Understanding the importance of trimmings in interiors
- How to think outside the box for upholstery
- Understanding fabric requirements and regulations for upholstery
- Creation of a window treatment design board.