Win a FREE place on KLC's Diploma HE Applied Interior Design course worth £19,945
We are delighted to be working with House & Garden and United in Design to identify someone with the real potential to succeed as a fully qualified interior designer and to offer them a free place on the Full Time Diploma HE Applied Interior design course commencing January 2022.
As with all applicants for KLC's specialist career-changing course, we want to be certain that it is the right course for you and entrants are asked to complete a standard application form to ensure they meet the entry requirements and also undertake an interior design exercise. This exercise is designed to give you the chance to showcase your talent and give us a real insight into your creative approach, spatial awareness, ability to problem solve and think outside the box.
The Competition Brief
Imagine that a prospective client, who is in fashion PR, has contacted you. The client has recently acquired a large studio apartment on the 5th floor of a new building (see downloadable pdf floor plan). The interior has potential but is lacking in character and style. The main feature of the apartment is the large windows on one side of the space, leading on to a balcony with fabulous views of the city. The other side, in contrast, is quite dark. The client travels widely and has accumulated some striking pieces of furniture and artworks. The client entertains frequently and is hoping that you can incorporate these pieces in a cohesive way and create something with a real “wow factor”. You have not yet seen the apartment or met the client.
For the first meeting, you have decided that it would help to compile an informal montage of cuttings, photographs, sketches, samples etc. which will convey the style and atmosphere that might suit the client and the apartment.
You can decide whether the potential client is male or female and whether the apartment is in New York, Shanghai, Rio de Janeiro, London or Rome, but please state, in both cases, which you have chosen. You can also choose the type and style of artworks and furniture that the client might have collected, but one of these should be the work of a well-known contemporary designer/artist.
Competition entry details:
- All entries must be digital and received by midnight on 14th October 2021. They can only be submitted via the form below and you must certify all submissions are your own work or answers.
- If you experience any issues please email us at email@example.com or call us between 0900 and 17.00 Monday to Friday.
Your submission should include:
- An A3 sized digital montage to convey the style and atmosphere that might suit the client and the apartment (this can include images and samples etc.)
- An A4 sketch plan based on the downloadable PDF Floor Plan showing how you would arrange the living/dining, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom areas with furniture layouts etc (this can be hand-drawn and does not have to be to scale but should be proportionate)
- A brief statement citing your perception of the opportunities and problems that the space presents.
- Briefly give your opinion (in not more than 200 words) on one of the following:
1. “Creativity is allowing oneself to make mistakes – art is knowing which ones to keep. — Scott Adams
2. “Creativity is contagious.” — Albert Einstein
3. “Creativity takes courage.” — Henri Matisse
- A Completed PDF entry form to include your previous education/employment and personal statement of why you would like to enrol on KLC's Diploma HE Applied Interior Design course
- Spatial Awareness Exercise Answers (you don't need to pass this to be accepted on the course, so please record your own answers in the form below).
- Shortlisted entrants will be asked to prepare print-outs of the A3 montage document, together with a presentation board showing actual samples/cuttings of some of the materials and finishes they would propose for the schemes.
- Judging will take place at the offices of House & Garden, Vogue House, Hanover Square, London W1 on 24th October 2021.
2) Carefully read the brief and the terms and conditions on this web page before creating your submissions
3) Your submissions should include:
a) An A3 sized Digital Montage.
b) An A4 sized Sketch Plan of the studio apartment.
c) A brief statement citing your perception of the opportunities and problems that the space presents.
d) Briefly give your opinion (in not more than 200 words) on one of the three quotations.
e) Your completed and saved PDF Diploma HE Applied Interior Design Application form.
4) Complete the online entry form along with recording your answers for the Spatial Awareness Exercise at the bottom of this page including the upload of your work and completed application form. All entries must be digital and include your first and last name in the file names and be submitted by midnight on 14th October 2021.
Competition Terms and Conditions:
- The Competition award is for the full time Diploma HE Applied Interior Design course for January 2022 entry only
- Entrants must be a minimum of 21 years old by the entry deadline and be able to devote sufficient study time to their course (as set out on the KLC website - www.klc.co.uk)
- Applicants already enrolled and studying on the KLC Certificate Residential, Diploma HE Applied or BA (Hons) courses are excluded from entering
- They must also meet the standard entry requirements for the course which are as follows:
- Previous degree (in any subject) OR *sufficient prior experience
- No previous art and design experience is required.
- Interior Design requires a wide range of skills, some of which are transferable from other professions. KLC can also accept applications from mature students who do not hold the above qualifications but have achieved sufficient prior learning experience. In this instance, the School will review any short courses, internships or career/work experience undertaken.
- The Competition award is non-transferrable and there is no cash alternative
- Only one entry per person will be considered
- The 5 applicants on the final shortlist will be invited to bring their A3 presentation board, together with printouts of their sketch plan and statement, to House & Garden’s offices. There they will meet the Editor and editorial team to present their ideas to the Editor, Deputy Editor and KLC’s Principal, Jenny Gibbs, and Alexandria Dauley.
- KLC reserves the right to cancel or amend all or any part of the Competition and/or Rules of Entry without notice for any matter arising that is beyond the reasonable control of KLC Ltd. Any changes to the Rules, or cancellation of the Competition, will be posted on the KLC School of Design website (klc.co.uk). It is the responsibility of entrants to keep themselves informed of any changes to the Rules
- In order to attend either Diploma HE course, English Language ability must be competent, and a minimum score of 6.5 on the English Language Testing System (ielts.org.uk) or equivalent is required.
- Only entries made by the Closing Date and in the manner set out in the Competition details will be considered for the award
- The winner of the Competition will be selected and notified as set out in the Competition Terms
- The decision of the judges is final and it is not possible for representatives of House & Garden or KLC to enter into correspondence regarding any of the entries
- In the event that the winner is disqualified from the Competition, the judging panel will select an alternative winner in the same manner as the original winner, and such selection will be subject to the Rules
- There is no requirement to make any purchase in order to enter the Competition or access the KLC website.
Intellectual Property Rights and Data Protection
- You agree that Edward James Foundation Limited and House & Garden may use your entry (whether or not it wins the Competition) for any promotional purpose (for example, placing it on the KLC website or any poster, leaflet or other advertising media).
- The Edward James Foundation Limited and House & Garden has your permission to use, reproduce, publish, display, transmit, copy, amend, store, your entry worldwide for such promotional purposes and for the purposes of the Competition
- The Edward James Foundation Limited and House & Garden will use any personal information that you provide with your Entry for the purposes of the entry and, where you have given your consent, for marketing purposes including the distribution of regular email updates or newsletters. Any personal information relating to entrants will be used solely by us in accordance with applicable data protection legislation
- You confirm that your entry is original and you have the right to lease to The Edward James Foundation Limited the copyright and other intellectual property rights in the entry for the purposes referred to in these Rules
- The winner of the Competition unconditionally agrees (as a condition of accepting any place on a Certificate course) to the use of their name and one or more photographs of themselves
- All entries must be received by midnight on 14th October 2021. By submitting an entry, each entrant agrees to the above Terms and Conditions.
Competition Entry Form
This competition is now closed for entries.