Visas and immigration

Applications from non-EU / non-EEA Students

Welcome to KLC School of Design

Student Study Visas for
Applications from non EU/non EEA Students



If you are not a member of the EEA/EEU and want to study a full-time course of more than 6 months' duration at KLC, then you will need to apply for a Tier 4 General Student Visa. The Visa application process can be complicated, so please read the following information carefully and please do not hesitate to contact KLC should you need any advice.


Points based immigration system


What is the Points Based System (PBS)? 
The Points Based System is part of the UK immigration system which consists of five tiers of visas which allow people from outside the EEA/EU to work or study in the UK. 

Members of the European Economic Area (EEA) and EU 

Austria Germany Malta
Belgium Greece Netherlands
Bulgaria Hungary Norway (non EU)
Croatia Iceland (non EU) Poland
Cyprus Ireland Portugal
Czech Republic Italy Romania
Denmark Latvia Slovakia
Estonia Liechtenstein (non EU) Slovenia
Finland Lithuania Spain
France Luxembourg Sweden
Switzerland (Although they are not an EEA member, they still have the same rights as EEA nationals


Non-EU and non-EEA students who need to apply for a visa to study in the UK should be aware that visa applications can take a while to process and should, therefore, allow a minimum of 15 working days prior to the start of the course to apply for a visa. Should your visa not have been formally approved within 5 working days of the start of your course, KLC reserves the right to reallocate your place - you will then be given an option to transfer to the next start date. However, please note that you will need to re-apply for a visa should you wish to transfer to the next start date. 


    1. Students must obtain a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) reference number from KLC before making their Tier 4 Visa application. The CAS is an electronic number that applicants need to quote on their visa application. This number is unique to each applicant and institution. It is important that you read and understand the Home Office's Tier 4 policy guidance before you apply. To view the policy guidance please click here -
To secure a CAS, students will need to submit the following documents to KLC as part of their registration: 

  • Copies of any Education Certificates or Qualifications that have formed the basis of your offer of a place on the KLC course.
  • A copy of passport's bio-data page.
  • A copy of an English Language Test result from one of the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) approved English Language test. The approved English test providers are: 

    • UK only: Trinity College London (for application in the UK only)
    • UK and Rest of World: IELTS SELT Consortia (for application either outside or inside the UK)

PLEASE NOTE: Only centres approved for SELT purposes will fully meet the UKVI specific requirements for UK immigration purposes. Please click on the link below to view the list of approved tests and providers.
    If you are a citizen or have completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree, from a UKVI recognised majority English-speaking countries, then you do not need to provide evidence of your English language ability for your visa application.
You are from a majority English language speaking country if you are a national of: 
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Australia
  • The Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Canada
  • Dominica
  • Grenada
  • Guyana
  • Jamaica
  • New Zealand
  • St Kitts and Nevis
  • St Lucia
  • St Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • United States of America

You have completed an academic qualification at least equivalent to a UK Bachelors degree which was taught in a majority English-speaking country if the qualification was taught in one of the following countries: 

  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Australia
  • The Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Dominica
  • Grenada
  • Guyana
  • Ireland
  • Jamaica
  • New Zealand
  • St Kitts and Nevis
  • St Lucia
  • St Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • The UK
  • United States of America
  • Proof of funds sufficient to meet the UKVI maintenance allowance (equivalent to £1,020.00/month for a period of 9 months).
If being sponsored by Parents: You will need to submit a copy of your parents' bank statement, a letter confirming their financial support and a copy of your birth certificate.
If being sponsored by a Guardian: You will need to submit a copy of your Guardian's bank statement and a letter confirming his/her financial support.
If being sponsored by an official financial sponsor: You will need to submit an official letter from the institution confirming that they will cover ALL your fees and living costs. 

IMPORTANT: Under the Immigration Rule, the proof of evidence you produce from the bank or building society or financial institution must show that you have the right amount of funding in your account for 28 days leading up to the date the evidence is generated. If you do not meet the 28 day requirement your Visa application will be rejected.
  • TUBERCULOSIS SCREENING TEST: You will need to have a tuberculosis test if you are coming to the UK for more than 6 months and are resident in any of the countries listed on the UKVI Tier 4 Visa website -
Please note that you must be tested at a clinic that has been approved by the Home Office. Please visit the link below to see the list of Home Office approved clinics.
  1. Once the above requirements have been met, the CAS number will be posted/e-mailed to the student along with a CAS confirmation letter listing the information that we sent to the UKVI. The CAS number will be linked to a specific KLC course and students will be unable to switch to another course or another learning provider unless they obtain a new visa.


On 06 April 2015, the Home Office have introduced a mandatory Immigration Health Surcharge as part of your immigration application. 

The health surcharge will be paid by non-EEA nationals who apply to come to the UK to study for a period of more than 6 months. Those who pay the surcharge will be able to access the National Health Service (NHS) in the same way as a permanent UK resident. 

The payment is made at the same time as the immigration application is made. It is very important that you ensure you have paid the Immigration Health Surcharge before you submit or send your immigration application. 

Some exemptions to this rule will apply - click the below link for details.


  1. Check your visa requirements. Make sure that you have the latest advice by visiting the UKVI website:
  1. Check the restrictions/conditions of your visa. Make sure that you have read and understood the UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) Policy Guidance before making your application. 

    Visit the website below to download the latest UK Visas & Immigration Policy Guidance. 

    PLEASE NOTE the following general conditions that will be attached to your stay in the UK. 
    1. Students sponsored by KLC have permission to work depending on the level of their study. Students following our BA (Hons) are permitted to work 20 hours per week during term-time and full-time during term break. Additionally, students on our Diploma HE and Foundation Degree may work up to 10 hours per week during term-time and full-time during term break.
    2. Not claim any state benefits (known as public funds) that you are not entitled to;
    3. Register with the police (if needed).
    4. A Tier 4 visa is specifically designed for study in the UK and will not lead to permanent residency.
  1. Processing times vary from country to country. Some will process applications in 5 working days, others may take a few weeks. You can find out the most recent visa application processing times for the country from which you are applying by using the "guide to visa processing times" from the UKVI website:
  1. Follow the instructions on the Tier 4 visa website on how and when to apply for your visa. Make sure that you submit the complete documents according to the procedure in your country of application.
Under the PBS the School will be expected by the UK Visas and Immigration to report any incident where a student fails to arrive for the start of the course, or defers or suspends their studies, as well as students who fail to attend their course for significant periods of time.


For more information about the new Points Based System, please visit the following website: 

To get student advice about the PBS, please visit the following website:



Overseas students who wish to undertake a short course of up to six months (eg FT 11 Week Certificate) will have to apply under the student visitor route. Please be advised that students who travel to the UK under the student visitor route will not be allowed to do any work or work placement (even if it is part of a course, or is unpaid). For more information about the Student Visitor Visa, please click on the link below: 

The Visa information we have provided is correct at the time of publication, however this is subject to any changes issued by the UK Visas and Immigration, so please always refer to the website for the latest news and information regarding Visa Requirements. 

Please contact KLC's Admissions Department on 020 7376 3377 or should you need to any advice on your KLC course application.