KLC is the smart choice to study interior or garden design
With over 37 years' experience, our school has built up an excellent reputation both nationally and internationally for quality design education. But if you need a little more convincing, then take a look at the reasons below...
A selection box of options
We have a course to suit every level of interest and every kind of lifestyle.
Is interior and garden design your favourite pastime? Then choose from our range of stimulating short courses or take an introductory course. Are you looking to make interior or garden design your career? Take a look at our Certificate, Diploma or Degree courses; available via full time or part time study. Perhaps you're unable to study in London? Then consider one of our online structured or open learning study courses with the support of tutors here at the school.
We want you to be you
Here at KLC, we encourage individual creativity – there is no set 'school style' which means that your projects can be created and presented using a wide variety of mediums and techniques. We understand that no two students are the same - therefore no two projects will be the same!
Keeping it real
We want our students to be able to hit the ground running on graduation, which is why our courses deliver hands-on preparation for the real world of design. Whichever course you take, we strive to offer live projects with real clients wherever possible – taking students out of the classroom and into the industry from early on in their learning experience. Gone are the days of falling asleep in the back row of the lecture theatre!
The KLC family
Students and staff alike enjoy the friendly, welcoming, professional atmosphere which the school actively promotes. The student to tutor ratio is kept deliberately low (normally 10:1) to ensure that we really get to know who we're teaching. Our lecturers genuinely care about students succeeding and our holistic Student Welfare services are available for anyone experiencing any particular difficulties during their time with us.
This support continues after graduation, with KLC Alumni being looked after by both the Careers Service (more about that below) and the Marketing & PR department – keeping you up to date with any Alumni events and discounts and using our contacts to offer press coverage for your most exciting projects.
Location, location, location
The KLC studios are situated in Design Centre East, Chelsea Harbour. This ideal position gives our students a unique juxtaposition of the most on-trend inspiration from the ever-expanding Design Centre and the historical ties of being near the iconic Kings Road and Sloane Square. Creative stimulus simply surrounds us in every direction!
We are privileged to be able to make use of the 20th Century Gardens for the practical horticultural aspects of the part-time garden diploma course, as well as students regularly benefiting from the knowledge and expertise of the palace's Gardens & Estate team.
Green is good
Interior and garden design are both powerful tools when used for holistic purposes, and here at KLC we emphasise the value of providing for the psychological well-being and safety of the end user. By covering important issues such as accessibility and sustainability within our courses, we actively promote the responsibility of an interior designer to care for the environment.
Don't just take our word for it
We are proud to maintain some very special relationships with a number of professional bodies:
- Six of our qualification courses are validated by the University of Brighton
- We work with Historic Royal Palaces in maintaining our Hampton Court 20th Century Garden and teaching relationship
- Our Principal, Jenny Gibbs, is a past president of the British Institute of Interior Design(BIID) and we retain close working ties with them. Similarly, the garden courses benefit from our relationship with the Society of Garden Designers (SGD)
- We run regular short courses and online courses in both Interior and Garden Design with industry partners
- We're developed a successful course with FutureLearn, which provides online courses from the world's leading universities and specialist organisations
- We plan events with organisations such as Media 10, with our regular presence at Grand Designs Live, House festival and Chelsea Flower Show
- We're a member of Independent Higher Education, the national association for providers of independent education higher education services
- We're given educational oversight by the Office for Students (OfS) and the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA), who ensure the quality of standards in UK higher education providers
- The Home Office (UKVI) have given us Tier 4 Highly Trusted sponsor status, so international students can also apply for our courses.
Our bespoke Careers Service is based on an extensive network of contacts with the interior and garden design industry. These working relationships have been carefully selected and built up since our founding in 1982. Working closely with designers, suppliers, manufacturers, specialists and other professionals in the field means that we keep our finger on the pulse, and can offer our students unmatched opportunities for live design projects, work shadowing and internships. Not to mention our employment rate is second to none!
Here at KLC, we pride ourselves on investing in technology for our courses – we are the field leader in online course delivery and use up-to-date teaching methods such as live web lectures, video seminars and online portfolio development. We actively encourage our students and alumni to connect with us via our social media platforms and are working towards some exciting new projects which will advance our online learning environments even further.
It's all thanks to you...
We wouldn't be where we are today if it wasn't for our amazing students. People from all walks of life and career backgrounds have trained with us, and each year we're simply blown away by the creative, innovative design ideas and solutions coming out of the studios. So what are you waiting for?! Apply today and join the thousands of KLC Alumni who've benefited from the unique training experience we can offer.